Continued from our November 2020 Blog
- Login Information
- Usernames – Today, most major retailers use your email address as your username. This is because all email addresses are unique; no one can have the exact same one. However if you do have to create a username, be sure to choose one that is easy to remember and does not contain any personal information like your birthday.
- Passwords – Passwords are a little more complex. A password allows you and ONLY you to access your online account. Modern passwords must be long and varied. Be sure your password includes a combination of lowercase and capital letters, numbers, and symbols such as @, #, $.
- Security Questions – Some vendors may ask you to set up a series of security questions. This is an additional way for a vendor to make sure you are indeed the owner of the online account. You will have the option to choose your security questions from a series of personal questions such as mother’s maiden name, first pet, favorite food, etc. Be sure to choose questions there can be no mistake on. For example if you lived on 2 or 3 different streets growing up, avoid the question, “What was the name of the street you grew up on?”.
- Lost or Forgot Info – Every website will have a process for retrieving and resetting lost usernames and passwords. This will involve some combination of answering security questions and/or responding to an email from the vendor. However the best way to ensure you don’t lose access is to write everything down and store it in a safe and secure place.
- Shopping – Now that you’ve created your online account with a vendor, you are ready to go shopping! Start by logging into your online account using your username and password. You can shop for items in several ways. The first one is to use the website’s menus, typically located at the top or left side of the screen. Here you will see all the store’s departments listed. Clicking on one allows you to begin looking through all the items in that department. The other shopping method involves using the search bar. This is usually a long, white bar at the top of the webpage. It will frequently have the word “search” in it and/or a small magnifying glass icon. Typing the name of an item such as “hammer” will bring up all the hammers that the vendor offers for sale.
- Your Shopping Cart – Once you’ve found an item you want to purchase, you will add it to your online shopping cart by clicking “Add To Cart”. This works just like a cart in a store. You can see what is in your cart at any time by clicking the shopping cart icon, usually located at the top-right corner of any of the website’s pages.
- Check-Out – Just like in the store, when you’re done adding things to the cart, it is time to check out. To begin checking out, click on your shopping cart icon. Review the items you’ve chosen and double-check that you have the correct quantities of each. Adjust as needed. Now it’s time to click the “Check-Out” button. This will review with you how much everything costs, shipping, delivery, or in-store pick-up options, and payment options. Once you’ve confirmed all these aspects, you’ll hit a button resembling “Place Order”. Your credit card will be charged and the vendor will begin the process of preparing your order!
Once you’ve gotten comfortable with one vendor, you’ll find almost all major retailers and their websites work essentially the same way. The Burlington Health Care website is a great place to get used to navigating a vendor and their products. Though we don’t currently offer online shopping, we are happy to take an order over the phone or you can stop in and see us!